[C320-list] Glow Plugs & Keyswitch - Perkins Perama M30 Engine

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 14:02:05 PDT 2018

 Update #2 ...… I installed a new pushbutton and red indicator lamp today from Catalina Direct https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/2094_715/engine-panel-push-to-start-or-glow-plug--button.cfm https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/4812_718/engine-panel-red-indicator-lamp-12-vdc.cfm on my engine panel that now controls the brown/red wire between my glow plug relay and 3-position key switch.  When I turn my key switch to the 1st/on position, I first depress and hold the new pushbutton for about 20 seconds which energizes my glow plugs (the red lamp lights too), then simultaneously also turn the key switch to the 3rd/start position for the starter motor.  When the engine starts, I let go of both the pushbutton and key switch (which springs back to "on").
Now my glow plugs are only on when I use the pushbutton (rather than staying on constantly as before this modification).  Hopefully now my glow plugs will not burn out quickly which caused my starting problem.
Thanks all for the help on this issue.
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat320 (#32)
Holland,, MI