[C320-list] Replace Lift Pump?

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 17 09:13:31 PDT 2018

I think preventative maintenance is like reefing -- you should do it when
you start worrying.

Lift pumps are hardy pieces of equipment, but the problem is they don't go
bad gradually. You're motoring along and then, bam, no power. Hopefully, you
aren't near any rocks and have some wind to get to safety.

That said, I put 3,000 hours over 10 years on the 2GM20 on my previous
sailboat. I changed the lift pump once, when I mistakenly thought it had
gone bad. It turned out the pickup line in the fuel tank was clogged from a
piece of gunk.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320, No. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.