[C320-list] Replacement (Danby) Microwave

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 12:57:18 PDT 2018

 UPDATE …… I attempted installation of the suggested replacement Danby microwave today.  Regrettably, it appears that it will NOT fit our boat without major effort. This project was to improve my boat even though my original unit still worked (I just didn't trust it since it is almost 25 years old).
The finished teak wood frame opening for the microwave on our boat is 9 1/2 inches high, which is the same height as the finished cabinet and door of the new microwave.  The primary problem lies in that the total height of the new microwave (including the unfinished metal cabinet with vents underneath) is 9 7/8 inches (even if the feet are removed as Rich D. did for his installation).  There is a filler shelf directly under the existing microwave that can be removed to create more vertical space by taking out 4 wood screws once the old microwave is taken out. Even doing this, the new microwave cannot be angled in through the teak cabinet opening to compensate for this.  The only way I can see to possibly install the new unit would be to drop the entire cabinet system above the sink and stove, maybe place the new unit in the middle space, and then raise/reattach the cabinets.
This problem seems to further illustrate the differences that exist between our hulls (mine is 1994; whereas, Rich D. reported that he has a 2004 boat).
The Danby microwave cost me $63.  Anybody interested (make me a reasonable offer).
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat 320 "Mayan Sun" (#32)
Holland, MI