[C320-list] Seeking tip on fuel filter

Mark Seyler mseyler at cox.net
Thu Sep 20 13:42:55 PDT 2018

Jack,

I'm not sure which pieces you're trying to separate: There is a metal spin-on head that is bolted to the boat, then a filter element spins on to that, then a plastic cap on the bottom of the filter element, to collect water below the filter element.

If the problem is the plastic cap, the one on my model 215 Racor has plastic ridges that stick out from the round cap.  I put the plastic cap between the jaws of my workmate folding work bench (they open and close like a vise).  If tightened until they just touch the ridges on the plastic cap, the workmate holds the plastic cap still enough, and in an open enough location, that I can then use a filter wrench to remove the filter element.  You could probably do the same thing by making a jig out of two strips of wood the right distance apart, glued or screwed on top of a two-by-six plank.  If that didn't work, I'd contact Racor (now part of Parker-Hannifin Corp) and see if they would sell you just the plastic cap, and put it on a new filter element.

If your problem is getting the filter element and plastic cap off the metal head that bolts in the engine compartment, I can only suggest removing the entire assembly from the boat and bolt it onto a two-by-four to give you some leverage where you can get at the assembly.  (Be sure to shut-off the fuel-in line first.  My #232 has a shut-off valve in-line, but if you don't have one, this might be a good time to add one.)  Once it's out in the open you could conceivably drive a screwdriver through the side of the filter element to get some leverage on it.  If that tore the sheet-metal cover off the filter element, it would expose the bottom of the more substantial metal end that screws onto the head, and you could put some PB Blaster on the threads to loosen it.

I wound up completely replacing my Racor system because the old one kept dripping diesel.  I bought the whole assembly from Defender Marine.  At some point, the cost of the new Racor assembly could be less than the aggravation of trying to save the old one.

Good luck.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality,
Catalina 320, #232