[C320-list] Keel crack question. Try this second time. Smaller pic

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 23 13:58:57 PDT 2018

Hi Scott:

Hit anything lately? That might be a cause for concern.

Otherwise, it is what's known as a Catalina Smile (or a C&C Smile, a
Beneteau Smile, etc.) Every sailboat with an attached keel has the potential
to develop one of these smiles. Mostly, whatever was used as a filler is
failing.

Generally, people clean out the crack, fill it (West System now has flexible
epoxy designed just for this), fair it and go on their way. The big thing is
to keep saltwater from reaching the keel bolts. Some people make a big deal
of it and lower the keel before filling the crack.

If you go to the C&C Photo Album web site, there is a ton of info on doing
this correctly because it is more common with C&Cs. (I used to own one back
in the day.) The archives on the message board has lots of posts.

If you're concerned about keel bolt tightness, Catalina should be able to
give you torque specs. Ask them about tech details for this. There's a
certain procedure I don't know remember for measuring the torque correctly.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay