[C320-list] Fw: Dutchman system monofilament

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Fri Sep 28 18:10:29 PDT 2018

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
From: Jeff Smith <jeffreyssmith at live.com>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2018 9:09 PM
To: Crosby Roper
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Dutchman system monofilament

Hey Crosby,

When the Dutchman worked, it was fine, but not as good as my current combo. It also did not work that often.

I do not singlehand often, though I have done more recently. I coat my sail lugs with McLube spray and the sail will literally drop into the stack pack, assuming I am into the wind. Sometimes when raising the sail, if you are not directly into the wind, the halyard will catch on a Lazy Jack, and we have to bring the bow through the wind to be able to continue raising the sail. It is such a small inconvenience, though, for the ease of dropping the sail.

Where we are at, we often get the waves and current running perpendicular to the wind, so spending time at the mast, flaking the sail and trying to get the Dutchman to work, for a newbie like me (owned for 2+ years) can be an adventure similar to riding a bucking bronco‎. That is no longer an issue, and I won't own another boat without it. Also, I don't mind giving up a bit of performance. I am interested in getting there, not how fast I get there.

I hope this helps,

Jeff
'94, #121

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.