[C320-list] Dutchman system monofilament

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 28 18:17:39 PDT 2018

I used a Mack Pack and lazy jacks on my last boat, a Bristol 30, for 10
years. They are convenient, but have their own limitations.They can chafe
sails and hang up battens.

The best system I found was to keep them stowed until you were ready to drop
the main. Then deploy them, point into the wind and drop (or tug) the sail
into the lazy jacks. Once you are at the dock, use ties on the sail and stow
the lazy jacks again.

I've only tried the Dutchman a couple of times because I've mostly been
doing a refit. Worked fine today. Sail folded right onto the boom. So far,
I'm happy, although I originally was skeptical.

It really comes down to a matter of personal preference and individual
design. Some lazy jacks work a lot better than others.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay