[C320-list] Dutchman system monofilament

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 19:07:19 PDT 2018

We converted to a stack pack from Chesapeake Sailmaker's last year when we
bought new sails.  Most of the performance advantages of the Dutchman
system are lost on casual cruisers like Kim and I.   I'm told that the
stack pack gives you a performance hit...towing a dinghy, and dumping the
traveler to smooth out the ride probably has a much larger impact than
anything we are able to notice.  We love our stack pack, it allows you to
raise the dodger and Bimini slightly since you don’t have to worry about
the sailcover rubbing your canvas, it makes stowing and covering the sail
quickly a breeze.   If you have to lower the main quickly you can dump the
main and worry about zipping the cover up later.  It also looks sharper in
my opinion than a traditional sail cover.   Probably the only slight
disadvantage we actually notice is the stack pack catches the wind and can
make maneuvering in tight marinas in higher winds a bit more tricky than
usual, however even then, your dockmates will certainly appreciate the
increased possibility of 'entertainment', who doesn’t appreciate a great
episode of the docking follies?

FWIW-

Troy Dunn
S/V Wonky Dog