[C320-list] Removing stripes on boat

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 16:06:15 PDT 2019

On Hull #514 we have the two thinner teal stripes and the one thicker blue
stripe.   The blue stripe comes off easily with a heat gun on low heat and
using a plastic razor blade to get under the stripe when it breaks because
you get impatient or use to much heat.   HINT: If the stripe is elongating
and thinning as you pull...back off on the heat.   The teal stripes have a
metallic glitter to them and they typically are going to have breaks every
few inches.   These will be a lot tougher to deal with.   I bought 100
plastic razor blades.   Probably used one blade per six inches because when
the blade pops thru a break in the stripe it gets buggered up and becomes
useless.  Making sure the blade is angled through those breaks will prevent
this from happening.

Expect 3 hours with this approach. 10 minutes for the blue and the rest for
the teal.  Expect another 1/2 hour of goo gone and acetone to clean up
residue prior to applying the new stripe.

3M wheel is probably a lot less time...but the wheel is not cheap.   If you
have two hours to kill and you love doing things the hard way go with the
plastic razor blade approach.  If you end up with leftover sheer stripes of
the three stripe variety...PM me, I might be interested in those...

Troy Dunn
S/V Wonky Dog