[C320-list] 320 MK II Steering Console

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Sun Apr 28 21:39:47 PDT 2019

> Has any member in the association accessed their steering
> gear to lubricate the chain and bearings?  If so - could you
> advise how you got access to the chain.  Did you remove the
> compass?  Did you take out the Yanmar instruments in
> addition?  Is there a secret way to open up the Edson
> Console?  I'm sure there must be a way to access the chain drive and
> lubricate the steering mechanism   Is there a specific manual from
> Edson?... I would appreciate any assistance from the group.

On my C320 MKII you do not remove the compass to get access to the steering
gear.  There are six screws that hold the Yanmar instrument panel to the
console.  Remove these and then you can tilt the panel back and gain access to
the steering chain drive and mechanism.  When putting the screws back only
tighten enough to get a seal around the panel.  If you over tighten you will
induce curvature in the panel and crack the panel from the screw hole to the
edge, especially the four corner screws.

Regards,

Stephen Cox

TEGWEN
C320 MKII #1141