[C320-list] 320 MK II Steering Console

Joe Luciano jnluciano at comcast.net
Sun Apr 28 22:29:58 PDT 2019

Stephen,

I just did this about a week ago on my 2005 C320.  There are some excellent YouTube videos put out by Edson that will walk you through the steps.  But, basically, you remove the compass for access to the inside of the binnacle.  You remove 4 screws to take off a cover plate and the chain is right there.  I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the 4 access screws were to take out to achieve access.  The earlier model Edson binnacles had problems with stainless screws going into aluminum threads and binding up terrible.  These screws were not stainless and had what looked like some sort of graphite lubricant on them that allowed them to come right out.  I used light winch oil on my chain which looked like new.  I also used a cheap plastic syringe that I bought in the West System epoxy section of our local West Marine store to inject grease through the open hole in the top of the sleeve bearing of the steering wheel.  This bearing sits just behind the chain.  Lubrication finished and put back together in reverse order.

In addition, I took some of the play out of my steering wheel via snugging up the cables on the quadrant below the binnacle.  There is another excellent YouTube video from Edson that explains the simple steps for doing that job as well.  Hardest part is climbing down through the aft port side access to get to everything.  Have to say though, these two jobs went smoother than I expected, and got both jobs done in about an hour and a half.  I had fully expected it was going to take 4 plus hours and alot of swearing to get through it…..  I highly recommend those videos!  Best of luck.

Joe Luciano
Second Wind - #1044
Anacortes, WA