[C320-list] Main Winch Teardown

Tom Grass tgrass462 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 08:26:36 PDT 2019

This is an urgent request.- I am at IRISH Boat Works in Charlevoix,
Michigan regreasing the winches on Bucket List (2008 Catalina 320 MK II).
I did the first winch atop the cabin with no problem.  I followed the Tech
Notes on doing this very job from November 2004.  However when I moved to
the main 2-speed winch toward the stern I ran into a problem.  I was able
to disassemble the winch down to the last set of ratchet gears; the small
set were on the 'outside' of the winch - these slid out with no issue; the
larger set of gears can not be slid out; the winch is installed in a socket
in the fiberglass such that the gears are boxed in.  The open on the other
(outside) of the winch casting is too small.

Question - is there a way to remove the larger gear set?  Do I have to
unscrew the screws holding the winch to the boat?  If I do - are these
bolts going into a threaded backing plate glassed in - OR - do these go
into a backing plate with nuts?  If so - I do not know how to access the
nuts without cutting a hole in my fiberglass.

Any assistance would be helpful.

Tom Grass
Bucket List