[C320-list] Rudder post thud

Joe Geiger joe.geiger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 06:58:06 PDT 2019

Yesterday we sailed through the Cape Cod canal across Cape Cod Bay to Ptown. The wind filled in nicely as we progressed. At one point the sea state was not rough but enough to cause a loud thud coming from the rudder post.

I opened the aft port seat so I could put my hand on the pulley at the top of the rudder post. It was shifting up and down about 1/4” causing the thud.

I read that there is a nut at the top of the rudder post underneath the emergency tiller cover that can come loose if you don’t tighten the wheel brake when not using the boat. This morning I checked all the nuts and bolts and everything seems tight at the emergency tiller spot and below the pulley attached to the rudder post.

Seems like it could be the bearings or bushings that are worn and causing the movement. Are there any?

Luckily we’ve had great weather but I’m a concerned that in rougher conditions this could be a huge problem. I just noticed this yesterday so it’s a new problem.

Any ideas on what to check?

Joe
--
Joe Geiger