[C320-list] Rudder Diagrams

Joe Geiger joe.geiger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 10:20:19 PDT 2019

I was finally able to get a hold of someone at Catalina to get some answers about my rudder issue.  I spoke with Warren Pandy in the Florida office and he sent me the 2 rudder designs used on the C320.  The newer style <https://www.dropbox.com/s/b12i6td58ulqklc/Forespar%20Rudder%20Design.pdf?dl=0> uses Forespar’s Marlon bushings that have adjustment screws allowing you to tighten the bushing against the rudder post with lag screws.  The older version <https://www.dropbox.com/s/ti8fs9b5gnawg0m/Early%20Rudder%20Design.pdf?dl=0> does not have this adjustment and the top is glassed to the bottom of the cockpit deck. My 2000 320 #722 uses the earlier style that was also used on years of the C27’s and C30’s.

The first thing I’ll try to to repack the bronze stuffing box at the top of the fiberglass rudder tube with packing material.  I noticed no packing material at all when I took that apart.  That may solve my problem.  If not, he suggested using mylar shims or strips of 2L Coke bottles or injecting epoxy into the post to fill the void to stop the movement.

Hopefully these drawings will help others too. I am not sure how to upload them to the Resources section of the c320.org <http://c320.org/> site. Is it possible for me to do it or would the site admin have to do that?

Joe
--
Joe Geiger
Vega #722