[C320-list] Barrier Coat On 320

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 22 16:16:23 PDT 2019

Hi Jeffrey:

What price peace of mind, eh?

In Florida, blisters tend to be common because most boats spend decades in warm water without ever drying out.

The general rule is, if you don’t have them, don’t worry about it. If you have a few or a few dozen, pop them, dry them and fill them. Only when the bottom is covered with them do you go for a barrier coat.

There’s some sense to that attitude because most blisters aren’t structural. They aren’t going to sink your boat, although they can play hell with your bottom paint.

And they can come and go at random. My old Bristol 30 had several dozen when I bought it. The P.O. had cancer, so the boat sat for many months with a full bilge. I fixed the blisters, put in a new bilge pump and never had a blister again.

Pettit Trinidad, a hard paint, is the standard here. Most bottoms are cleaned every month due to heavy growth in warm water. You know it’s time to repaint when the diver wears through the bottom paint, so thick buildups aren’t common.

I had ablative on a C&C 25 many years ago. What a nightmare here. Slime would build up, so the bottom would have to be cleaned periodically. The diver would emerge from the water wearing hundreds of dollars of bottom paint. He wasn’t happy, and neither was I.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay