[C320-list] Barrier Coat On 320

Jeffrey Kapec jkapec at tkdg.com
Thu Aug 22 13:55:47 PDT 2019

Hello Jack

We purchased a 20 vintage 320 (hull 718) in 2006.  The bottom paint was
partially peeling off the boat.  She was on the hard for 2 years.  We
scrapped and sanded the hull carefully  (with a vacuum attached to the
sander).  We hand removed the bottom paint so as not to erode the vinylester
layer.  I applied epoxy barrier coat as a precaution.  I did so because my
previous C-30 had a pronounced case of blisters and that was one heck of a
project to correct.  After applying the barrier epoxy we applied a Petite
Hydrocoat ablative bottom coat.    That was the best decision ever.  In New
England that ablative will last for two seasons and as it wears it thins
down evenly so that after two seasons a light sanding is all that is
required for a recoat.  The bottom is smooth/beautiful.  Never have to
scrape and remove the bottom paint.  No ugly patches of buildup.

Petite Suite

Jeffrey Kapec

Tanaka Kapec Design Group

11 Brookfield St.   Norwalk, CT 06851