[C320-list] AIS transponder advice?

Pat Tormey ptormey at 4square.net
Tue Feb 5 08:49:15 PST 2019

I’ve got am iCOM M506 VHF with a built in AIS receiver, seamlessly feeding into a Garmin 7607 Chart plotter (with GPS), but this year I’d like to add an AIS Transponder.

So far I think I understand that I should buy one with it’s own internal GPS and either use second dedicated antenna or connect the that mast head VHF thru a splitter/sharing gadget.

So I think that I’d then need to disconnect the M506’s AIS and hook in the “insert new AIR transponder gadget here” AIS. OR maybe I can just ignore the new gadget’s AIS and leave the iCOM alone.

Pros are the existing iCOM AIS receiver already works and uses the masthead antenna
Cons are MAYBE the transponder will chat with the iCOM and continuously warn me that I’m colliding with myself 😉

I’m leaning toward the internal GPS transponder with a stand alone antenna.

Anybody got any experience or advice before I take that plunge?

Thanks

Pat

Pat Tormey
s/v Blue Skies