[C320-list] AIS transponder advice?

Mark Cole boatnboot at me.com
Tue Feb 5 10:30:13 PST 2019

Hi, Pat;

A couple of seasons ago, I installed a Vesper XB8000 AIS transponder and a Vesper SP160 antenna splitter on Fiddler’s Green and it works great.  The XB8000 came with an external GPS antenna and feeds GPS info and AIS info into the NMEA 2000 bus plus broadcasts all NMEA info via a WiFi network throughout the boat.  The XB8000 is my only AIS and GPS “talker” on the network, so I don’t have any conflicts with competing electronics trying to confuse each other, but, as I understand it, the new NMEA 2000 protocol is smart enough to solve those conflicts.

The antenna splitter made sense to me since the masthead location is the best place for a VHF antenna on a sailboat for both VHF communication and AIS communication and you can’t put two antennas at the masthead.  The XB8000 has a built-in signal strength tester so you can be sure the cable in the mast and the antenna are working up to spec.  I was guaranteed that the splitter gives total priority to VHF radio communications and will not interrupt it with an AIS ping.

That is pretty much the extent of my knowledge, but I bought my equipment from Milltech Marine (milltechmarine.com <http://milltechmarine.com/>) and the owner, Doug Miller, is an AIS wizard.  He should be able to answer your questions.  Also, if you want to take a look at the install on Fiddler’s Green, here is a link  <https://c320.org/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20181119010258572>to my album on the C320 site.

Mark Cole
Fiddler’s Green #8
Puget Sound