[C320-list] Battery

jackbrennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 10 09:31:26 PST 2019

Jeff:
I presume you're running the dehumidifiers directly off an AC socket, which wouldn't touch the battery at all. No reason to run them off an inverter.
The fridge pulls maybe 3 amps an hour when cold, so, no, that's not a huge draw
But carrying only one battery for weight reasons is false economy. If you want to get in racing trim, empty the water tanks.
That's 400 pounds, as opposed to maybe 125 for a second battery.  Also, where the batteries are, you could argue they are ballast.
The big risk for one battery is if it dies or you run it down. Then you're stuck. Better hope you're In cell phone range for BoatUS.
Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528Tierra Verde, Fl.Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:40 AM, Jeffrey Brown<oceanblues at mac.com> wrote:   Guys
I have a question about batteries. I keep only one battery for less weight. While connected to shore power I run the refrigerator and two dehumidifiers which I know suck a lot juice and run on AC. Although my charger/inverter is on shore power could I be putting so much load on one battery? If not, how can I test if I need a new charger/inverter?

I’m really good with the mechanical things but electric is not my expertise at all.

Jeff Brown
949-350-5123