[C320-list] Propeller Shaft

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Feb 12 14:14:52 PST 2019

I guess it's all a matter of degrees.  But here's my take.  Sorry it's long.

That propeller shaft is probably approaching 22 years of service now.  I'm
assuming it hasn't been replaced because if it had, it would likely already
be stainless steel.

No your prop shaft isn't likely to break off, but hitting a or something or
wrapping a line while motoring with a heavy prop is a little more likely to
bend a bronze prop shaft than a Stainless one.

The bronze prop shaft does have more flex than stainless.  That doesn't
matter much at all when you have a properly aligned engine/shaft and in
smooth water.  However under hard load of bumpy seas, you are putting lots
of uneven loading on the engine and will get more shaft whip.  You should
see what's happing to your prop shaft in those crazy conditions sometime.
(probably lose your cookies with your head stuck under the bunk in those
conditions, but that's another matter.  :)

So, in my opinion, if you're changing your prop to a heavier one, you should
replace your cutlass bearing anyway (unless you just did it) because you
don't want ANY play to make the shaft whip worse.  Once the cutlass bearing
is out, there's no better time to do the driveline maintenance.

So, upgrade the prop shaft, replace the shaft log, repack the stuffing box
with GFO (dripless) and pop in a new cutlass bearing and you're all set for
the next 15 years at least (with normal maintenance of course), right?

So what does all that cost?  Well, you're already into the prop for $2K at
least. A new prop shaft, shaft log and cutlass bearing is another ~$400.  At
this point the labor cost to install those is by far the cheapest it'll ever
be to do any of this work.  Why not do the job now on *your schedule* and be
happy with all that work behind you rather than wait until the boat decides
to have a problem on *It's schedule* right before you head out on vacation
or already out there?   My boat normally breaks when I'm out there using it,
not when I'm sitting at the dock (well, except for lightning. Lightning
broke my boat when it was sitting at the dock...so there's that.) :/

Cheers!
-Jeff Hare