[C320-list] Propeller Shaft

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 12 19:54:22 PST 2019

Troy:

You don’t want to deal with a ripped stuffing box hose. Mine went on a previous boat, and I spent a long night on a cabin settee with one foot on the floor, hoping the rising water would wake me up when it all went to hell.

Luckily, my two bilge pumps ran properly all night, until I got to a boatyard the next morning.

Your dockmate’s experience describes crevice corrosion to a T on a SS prop shaft. Water stagnates inside the stuffing box, which prevents SS from getting the oxygen it needs to ward off corrosion, especially in warm water. The solution: sail every week to replenish the oxygen.

Manufacturers such as Catalina used naval bronze prop shafts at least until the late ‘90s, when my boat was built, because it resisted corrosion much better than the SS of that era. This is why you don’t have SS through hulls.

Supposedly, the new SS prop shafts resist corrosion better and bronze shafts are hard to find. I suppose we shall see. My naval bronze shaft ended up being cut by an incompetent boatyard that couldn’t disconnect it from the diesel, so I now have a SS prop shaft myself.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Caalina 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay