[C320-list] FW: AIS transponder advice?

Pat Tormey ptormey at 4square.net
Wed Feb 13 09:48:41 PST 2019

From: Pat Tormey
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:22 AM
To: Pat Tormey
Subject: RE: AIS transponder advice?

Ok, so after some research I decided to got with Digital Yacht https://www.wmjmarine.com/c42645.html
Digital Yacht AIT2000 Class B AIS Transponder with GPS Antenna; $539 best price I found. (Don’t tell me you found a better price) There are boat show discounts; call Digital Yacht for info OR send me a note. It 20% off retail.

Apparently all AIS transponders in the US are required to be ‘programmed’ with you MSSI numbers and contact info so have that ready when you order. SOME sellers will charge a fee for that.

DY got back to me with answers right away They recommended that I disconnect the iCOM’s GPS and AIS receiver stating that their unit was newer, more accurate and firmware upgradable. Also the AIT2000 would talk to the iCOMs AIS.

This brings up the problem of standalone VHF Antenna or a shared splitter. I decided to go with the Digital Yacht splitter APL 2000. (Hodges Marine $261 yeah I know.)

Here’s my thinking.. I want ONE person to call for Tech support so other splitters were off the table. A standalone antenna can’t share the mast mount cuz of EMI and at 2 watts transmit it’s pretty much line of sight. Yep,  AIS is 2 watts which is great for power consumption and a fine range for sail boat speeds but I wanted the receive signal to be as strong as I can get. DY claims a perfect installation in perfect conditions might get a target of 20km.

And of course, the installation will be easier not having to find a place for TWO additional antennae (the AIT2000 comes with it’s own GPS)

The combination has a lot of features that I don’t know I need, like remote shut off and it’s own WiFi hosting and claimed easy wiring.  I’ll be the judge of that!

Unfortunately it’s still damn cold here in NH but I optimistically expect to be heading to the boat in southern Maryland by St. Patty’s. I’ll follow up if anybody is interested.

Pat

Pat Tormey
s/v Blue Skies