[C320-list] Winch Rebuild

John Meyers jcmeyers7 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 05:17:41 PST 2019

Lots of good advice. This last fall I took the winches apart and put the
parts to be cleaned in a big zip lock bag-marked to which winch and brought
them home to soak and clean. I will put them back together if and when it
gets warmer here in the Great Lakes. I didn't bring big drums home but will
clean the inside of them this spring.  Don't forget to do that - many of
the instructions don't mention that part. I use light sewing machine oil on
the paws.

I found that a tooth brush is not firm enough to clean the grime in the
gears so I bought a brass electric wire brush at Lowes for under $2 that is
soft enough not to scratch the brass gears but firm enough to get the black
grim off.

The first time I cleaned and greased the winches I used way too much grease
and the winches were sluggish. The second time I cleaned and greased I used
less but still too much. As other wrote and as I found out DON'T over
grease. Grease can collect dirt. How dirt gets in is beyond me but could
come in with water. I hope to have winch covers soon.

I have extra paws and springs on hand but have not needed to use them yet.

John Meyers
#406 1997
WInd Chime
Muskegon, MI