[C320-list] Windlass wiring

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:46:42 PST 2019

We got this far on the original battery config and I want the alternator
first because I don't want to risk degrading or destroying the new AGMs.
AGMs are not the best choice for a value conscious live aboard.   We aren’t
live aboards, and I'm liking the idea of not having to find battery acid in
the area under the settee near the windlass switch ever again.  It’s a
compromise, I can always go back to FLAs I suppose,  probably won't.  I
looked at all the options for alternators and waffled back and forth there
as well.  In the end I went with the 120A Balmar with serpentine upgraded
 pulleys.   This gives me tons of future options and I can not imagine
needing a bigger alternator given our usage.   When we combine banks
eventually we will be doing it to increase battery life, not because I
think we will ever burn 200AH in a day.       Total cost for everything I
need through the entire project came out to about $2K including shipping.
That includes smart monitor, ACR, MC614 with temp sensing, alternator, bus
bars, fuses, bus bar covers, etc etc.   It does not include new batteries
or wiring.   The grand total will be roughly $3.5K.   I bought everything
so far from RC at compass marine. I can’t even imagine going anywhere else
given how thoroughly he has covered every topic I could dream up, and his
prices are extremely competitive.

Cheers

Troy