[C320-list] Windlass wiring

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 20 04:05:07 PST 2019

Graeme,
I too thought long and hard about doing this in steps.  For me (personal preference) was wanting to know "exactly" what I am drawing on these new batteries and that meant a monitor with a shunt. I wanted to be able to turn on the Fridge (for example) and know exactly what it draws so I can calculate how long I can be on the hook with "anything" turned on, for how long, before risking my batteries.  That "personal" monitoring requirement drove most of my decisions.

For me the choice was Solar and the IPN Pro-Remote by Bluesky Energy.  This, however, meant that I had to combine the 2 batteries into a single bank or buy 2 monitors. (each Monitor w/Shunt could only monitor single "source/bank")   If I combined them into single bank then all my eggs were in 1 basket.  That meant adding the Start Battery as a backup or risking unable to start engine after on the hook for days.
This escalated into re-wiring the battery bank (Adding some Busses), and the windlass (couple more busses maybe near windlass switch in order to NOT have to run new wires to windlass), and relocating my newly installed wash down pump (Relocating "maybe" to starboard locker in v-berth), and mount shelf for start battery, and, and....

Kind of funny but:1. Monitor batteries - Which meant:    2. Combining Batteries to single bank -  Which meant:   3. Rewire Batts and Adding Buss Bars -  Which meant:4. Installing Start Battery (more buss bars??) - Which meant:    5. Relocating Wash down pump -  SO FAR.......

Short version is, if I wanted to have the monitoring system I wanted, I really should probably just go for it all.  Personal choice. Again, FWIW----the Alternator was the easiest part.  I went with the Amptech S100SE Saddle mount SC 100/85A ER ALT SADDLE  (Thank you Jeff Hare).  I ordered a 100amp and it fit right into place.  Only needed a longer hinge bolt and slight adjustment to the sleeve with inserting some washers to align the pulley.  Amptech web site is not great but if you call them they built one for 100amp that was not listed on their website.  Very helpful over the phone.  DO NOT just rely on their website.  Almost half the price of Balmar.  I am almost done and will be choking it to 80 amps with the Balmar MC-614 Regulator to limit load on engine.  Installing all Temp sensors for Alternator and Batt.  May get to install regulator remote lamps but on bottom of list.  NOTE: My Hitachi 55amp Alternator went bad so had to replace it anyway.  It was actually smoking when I turned on the Battery switch.  Cool...errr.. I mean hot...  Sorry, coffee kicking in....

My next task this weekend is to mount solar panels on new dinghy davits and figure out how to install start battery "shelf".   Once I start the solar then I am committed to re-wiring the battery bank.   I want to get solar on these new batteries ASAP.  I would list all the remaining tasks but this is long enough already.....

Thanks,

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net H (919)-362-8538    C (919)-618-7185