[C320-list] Recommended autopilot settings

John Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 8 07:56:17 PST 2019

Finally. In, done and working.

I found installing the Raymarine Ev 100 autopilot to be more difficult than the 4000+ on my old Bristol 30. Partly, this was because I am 6’2”, 215 pounds and 65 years old. It was hard to fit into the port stern locker, and my muscles aren’t limber enough to move easily in confined spaces.

I’ll write up what I did tonight and/or tomorrow to add to the pile. I’m sure mine was not a perfect installation. Other owners would do well to read a number of accounts, then pick and choose the best ideas for their own project.

I will say that anyone installing an EV 100 should view it as a three-part job, if for no other reason than your sanity. Trying to do it all in one day will tire and stress you. Do the wheel one day, then the controller the next. Lastly, install the ACU and sensor, then hook up the cables and wiring.

In the meantime, I was wondering whether anyone has recommended settings for the autopilot. I know that on the 4000+, people experimented and found that some odd settings actually worked best with particular sailboats.

I’m off this afternoon to commission the autopilot and do some testing.

Jack Brennan
Son as, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay