[C320-list] Interior Port-light trim ring

Gerald Rouillard pearson39b at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 16:51:24 PST 2019

I did the same thing Dave did, however I did all 7 ports, and found it took me about an hour and a half per port.  Most of the time was taken up by cutting the inside trim to fit the thickness of the cabin wall.  I found a Drexel tool with a cutting disk to be the best tool for this job, but it does take some careful trimming to get a good, secure fit.

If you are installing new portlights, butyl tape gets my hearty recommendation for sealing the outer trim frame to the cabin.  This is the third boat that I have replaced all the portlights for, and I can say with confidence that silicone would be my last choice for this job - messy and unforgiving...  Butyl tape is easy to use and cleans up better than any other sealant available.  You will especially appreciate it if you have to remove and re-do a port.

One thing to watch for if you are doing the 3 ports in the rear berth:  make sure you have some shorter, and maybe longer, machine screws for some of the fastening points.  The cabin wall thickness is not consistent.  Too long a screw will not let you draw the outer frame in tight enough to get a good seal, too short a screw will not reach the outer frame.  The front 4 ports all worked with the screws provided with the portlights I bought.  The installation directions will mention this, but it's easy to overlook, or forget.

Good luck if you decide to replace the portlights.  The new Lewmars are worth the time and expense...

Sailor Jerry,
Wind Song, Hull #283

Sent from my iPad