[C320-list] Couple of start Battery questions

jackbrennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 27 07:10:41 PST 2019

A group 24 deep cycle  battery is plenty for a start battery.
A charging issue can arise if you have, say, agm house batteries that require a different voltage.
Also, it's not ideal if your house bank is sorely depleted and your start battery is full when you charge.
A solution I like, but don't currently have, is a main switch that permanently isolates the start battery and house bank.
When you start the diesel, it pulls only off the start battery and doesn't send a voltage Spike to your instruments.
An emergency spot on the switch allows you to start the diesel with the house bank.
The ideal setup points the alternator and solar panels to the house bank, then uses a Xantrex echo charger to top off the start battery.
Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528Tierra Verde, Fl.Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 9:51 AM, Scott Westwood<scottwestwood at bellsouth.net> wrote:   Decided to install start battery.
If you have a separate start battery.....

What size do you have?  i have heard Grp27 and Grp25?  What CCA? etc...??  Optima has a Grp34 that has 800CCA and is only (LxWxH): 10 x 6 7⁄8 x 7 13⁄16 in and, according to them, is leak proof and take vibration for only $196??

Next question gets more complicated.   Here is what I was thinking:  I was going to combine my 2 batteries into single house bank.  Then install a Balmar DDC 12/24 Duo charge.

I was told.... that if I connect the start battery to switch 2 (Switch 1 would be house bank) that I could turn the switch to Pos 2, then start the engine, then quickly turn the switch through "Both" to Pos1.  This would not cause any issues.
Any thoughts on that?
I was hoping to use the existing Pos2 wire that (I think) will reach my start battery if I can fit it into the space behind the Anchor Windlass switch.
Thoughts?  Last thing I want to do is cause damage to expensive batteries or equipment.

Thanks,

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net H (919)-362-8538    C (919)-618-7185