[C320-list] Water in the Bilge

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 12:15:44 PST 2019

 Michael-
Several have responded already to you and mentioned general leak problems that don't necessarily relate specifically to your question about water in the front bilge areas.
Since buying our boat in early 2017, my bilge has been consistently bone dry (halleluiah) after having great success tracking down and fixing different leaks (I won't go into all that here).  However, just like you recently (after putting the boat on the hard and covering it ) I unexpectedly discovered water (not a gross amount) in my front-most 3 shallow bilge areas).  These bilge areas are forward of the mast and interconnected, but do not connect directly with the main bilge areas (where my keel bolts are).
I'm not sure yet, but I believe it is possible the water I encountered was there all summer and possibly due to unnoticed slow seepage from my speed transducer.  I had removed and reseated the transducer for the first time before launching the boat last year.  I had not lifted the floor boards that covered these specific bilge areas until just recently to air out all spots well. I have since dried the areas up and only a couple tablespoons of wetness has recurred (and only in the most forward bilge area near to my transducers).  A friend with a newer 320 had suggested that the water might be from condensation, but no water occurred in any other areas. So, I don't think condensation is the cause. Also, I can't find any signs of other contributing  leaks.
I am monitoring this to see if the water comes back, but I still suspect slight previous seepage from my speed transducer that went unnoticed and just stayed pooled in the front bilge areas.
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat320 (hull #32)
Holland, MI