[C320-list] Water in the Bilge

Michael Leschisin mleschisin at imagestudios.com
Mon Jan 28 07:11:08 PST 2019

Hey Guy,

Thanks for all the info regarding water in the bilge.

Just as a follow up to last week in case anyone is experiencing similar issues….I called Catalina technical services last week and their answer to my question about water entering the bilge through the mast base was that yes, there is a opening where the mast wiring enters the cabin top/mast base and runs through the compression post and into the bilge.  They also said there is a two inch standpipe inside the mast on top of this hole to deter water from entering and that many dealers, when setting up the boat, will fill this with silicon to close it off.  Apparently mine didn’t, so I’ll check that out next time I unstep the mast.  Does anyone presently have their mast unstepped and are able to confirm this arraignment?

My guess is that I have water entering via the halyard openings as it runs down the mast, since I had ice blocked up primarily in the front of the bilge.  I dug out about a gallon and a half of slushy somewhat diluted antifreeze from bilge in minus 10 degree weather this weekend and replaced it with fresh minus one hundred.  We’re headed for a low of -23 with a 50 below windchill Wednesday night and then 38 degrees and a chance of rain again on Sunday!  Guess I’ll see how many holes in the mast I can stop up on Saturday.

Michael

Michael Leschisin
#995, Wild Blue Yonder
Menominee, MI