[C320-list] Lightning Proetection

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 26 11:53:43 PDT 2019

Hi Scott:

It was there when I bought the boat. Basically, the cable goes from the mast support in the bilge to a keel bolt. I’d go look right now except that I got forced back into the house by a thunderstorm, believe it or not. Had to close up the boat to keep the rain out.

I haven’t paid much attention to it because I think lightning would jump naturally from the mast and its support down to the keel bolts. After all, that’s the shortest path to ground.

But, if you want to do it, get a copper grounding strap to wrap around a keel bolt, then connect maybe a no. 4 cable to the mast support.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay