[C320-list] Lightning Proetection

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Jul 26 15:08:23 PDT 2019

Catalina made a deliberate choice not to ground their boats.  There is no proven science that grounding helps or hurts. The association asked this specific question to Frank and Gerry.Our boat had a direct hit.  Damaged everythingElectrical. No physical damage at all except for masthead attachments like light, wind instruments and antenna.Lightning paths are often many miles long.  The difference of 50 feet to strike a mast or direct to earth, probably makes no difference to a half million volts.  Personally, I don't want to look like a clean path to ground so I'll probably never ground a boat that doesn't have bronze thru Hulls.But there is no definitive science that shows grounding a boat is best.  Grounding buildings with lightning rods is not an equivalent thing.  So, choose your own voodoo.  :)Cheers!Jeff Hare
null