[C320-list] Access to holding tank pump out and vent connections

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Jun 3 09:46:47 PDT 2019

As the creator of this thread I want to comment on some of the answers.
First, thanks to all that replied. Second, I do not think I have a
clogged vent. We had the problem even after a pump out when I was
hearing a rush of air into the vent. At the end of our cruise I pumped
out again and flushed water into the vent while suction was turned on.
A lot of water was sucked in and after the inrush of air was again
audible. Possibly I've had a clog in the past that created a problem. If
I manage to get access I'm going the route that Jeff suggested of
replacing the vent with something more substantial. Third, before
posting I had already done a careful inspection of everything visible
around the holding tank and head. There is no evidence of any leakage or
loose connections. This is why I suspect something amiss with the vent
behind the medicine cabinet. Fourth, someone suggested I pull the
electrical outlet above the settee for access. On my boat it is just
above the cushions, and the opening is way too small for an arm. Plus it
is pretty far from the pumpout fitting on deck or the vent fitting. So
I'm a bit skeptical that I will make much progress there, but will give
it a try if all else fails.

Finally, I originally requested some advice for removing the "medicine
cabinet." I don't think anyone provided tips for doing that. When I
tried to do so, it became clear that I would need to remove the hoses
first, and then it isn't clear how you get them back in there
afterwards. If anyone has thoughts on this process I would welcome them.
I'm thinking that if I get the thing out I might modify it with a
removable bottom to make the process easier in the future. Has anyone
done anything like that.

Scott Thompson

Surprise (#653, 1999)