[C320-list] M30 Floating Gnd on Temp Sender?

Dave Chase londoc at blackbury.com
Mon Jun 17 11:41:50 PDT 2019

Hi All

We have a 1994 C320 (#97) with a Perkins M30 and my water temp gauge is
not reading anything. In starting to look at it I noted that the sender
has 3 terminals with two connected. I'm thinking this is for a floating
ground. I haven't traced wiring yet but in looking at possible
replacement senders I am seeing nothing like the one that is currently
installed and the instrument panel schematics that I've seen only show a
single sender connection. I've attached a pic.

Voltage on one of the connected terminals is 0V and the other is Battery
voltage. I didn't have time to trace connections or measure the
resistance between terminals. I'm going to head back out this week to
take a closer look but thought I'd ask if anybody has seen this.

Any thoughts?

Dave Chase
1994 C320 #97
Indigo