[C320-list] Adding a clutch unit

P.F. Ross pfrstl at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 10:05:49 PDT 2019

David,

I did this a couple of years ago, here are my notes:

I added an additional clutch to each side of my #206 in May, 2017
(which makes four on port side, three on starboard side).  I am not near my
boat now but this is how I best remember doing it.

I talked to Garhauer and bought two of their 11-11S (IIRC) rope clutches.
While they are not identical to the existing (slightly different handle
shape and black handle color, looks like larger line capacity but still
fits my smallest lines), they bolted right up.  Garhauer will send the
appropriate length through bolts when you tell them the number of units to
be ganged together.

I looked at the pads that the existing clutches were mounted on and
determined what sizes I would need in order to add an additional clutch to
each side.  I figured 6-3/8" square for the starboard side and 5-5/8" x
6-3/8" for the port side, however measure yourself to make sure!.
Starboard side is larger to fit the mainsheet cleat, even though there are
only three rope clutches on that side.

I ordered 3/4" Starboard material from boatoutfitters.com in the above
sizes with a 3/16" radius on one side in their "Glacier Gray".  Not quite
as dark gray as original, almost a dirty white, but still good.  Also, the
original pads had a "pyramidal" slope to the sides (with no top radius)
while my new pads were straight sides (but with a radius at top).  Looks
great!!

Also, I was very impressed with boatoutfitters.com price, delivery and
workmanship on these Starboard pieces.

I then set to removing the existing clutches and pads.  As stated earlier
by
Chris Burti, there is an embedded aluminum plate under the cabin top with
tapped holes that the clutches screw in to.  All clutch mounting screws
came out without any problem.  After removing everything, I cleaned up the
cabin top using mineral spirits to remove what appeared to be a butyl
sealant under the pad and around through holes.

I then test fit the pads to the cabin top and tried to figure out where the
clutch mounting screws would go through.  This was perhaps the most
difficult part of the project.  I could see that it was difficult for
Catalina as well, since the holes in their original pads had mostly been
enlarged in one fashion or another.  So it was for me; after I thought I
knew where the through holes would go, I ended up enlarging many of them in
order to get everything to tighten down smoothly.  However this is not
really a problem since the pad is securely held down to the cabin top by
the force provided by the several clutch mounting screws.

On the port side, I found that the new outboard clutch mounting screw holes
missed the outside edge of the embedded aluminum plate.  I simply drilled
all the way through the cabin top and used some acorn nuts and large
washers over the end of the screws.  I am not completely satisfied with
this since the two acorn nuts are close over my head while I stand at the
stove.  I will find or fabricate a lower profile fastener when I return to
my boat.

On the starboard side, I found that the embedded aluminum plate extended
far enough outboard that I was able to tap into it, I believe 1/4-20 but
this is from memory so verify yourself.

For final assembly, I used butyl tape to seal everything.

The leads into the outboard clutches are not optimal since the clutches are
closely ganged and the deck organizer sheaves are spaced farther apart.
Still working on a fix for this and welcome any ideas.

There are a couple of pics of my finished project in my album.

Regards,

Frank Ross
Beta Wave #206
Naples, FL