[C320-list] Furling Woes

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 24 09:23:23 PDT 2019

Hi Joe:

If I’m understanding you correctly, the problem is with your furling line.

When you roll up the jib, you are taking off the line from the furler.  Once you run out of line, you won’t be able to furl the sail any farther. Or, if the line is over-wrapped improperly, you won’t be able to go any farther.

The solution is to remove the line when the sail is totally furled, then re-tie it. Roll the furler five or six times around with the sail still furled. That gives you some leeway when you are furling. I.E., when the sail is totally furled,  you’ll still have a couple of feet of line on the furler.

This sometimes happens in  big winds. When the jib will be wrapped very tightly. If you have an over-wrap on the furling line, that happens because the angle to the furler is oncorrect or you’re letting the furling line stay too loose.

God luck.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320, NO. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.