[C320-list] Dutchman versus stack pack?

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 19:29:55 PDT 2019

Same exact story here, when we bought our boat in HdG it had original
sails, dutchman, and canvas.  Chuck at Chesapeake Sailmakers did all of our
new sails, canvas, and stack pack.  The only slight con on the stack pack
is the increased windage from the stack, it is absolutely noticeable when
it is blowing like snot and you have an awkward slip angle to back into...

I would never go back to the dutchman however.  Being able to simply head
up, pop the halyard clutch and let the main drop into the pack when we need
to douse the sail in a hurry is really nice.  No more climbing around with
sail ties in a blow, and no more messing about with awkward sailcover
designs.

As already mentioned, bending on the main is a 1 person activity now if you
relax the lazy jacks and use the stack as a stretcher.   Also, when it
comes time to remove the main I can usually get it properly folded and in
the bag in one try coming off the boom.  Admittedly learning that trick
took a little more effort.

Troy Dunn
Hull #514
Tidewater Marina, HdG, MD