[C320-list] Marine VHF with Bluetooth Headset

Joel Krauska joel at krauska.net
Wed Jun 26 12:23:42 PDT 2019

Random side quest:

I've been looking far and wide for a Marine VHF radio that supports
bluetooth headsets.

I help out on races doing mark-set and hearing the race committee
announcements would be very helpful.

It's often too windy to hear the VHF well and I'd love to be able to use
some small bluetooth earbuds to listen in.  Bonus if the built in mic would
work when I hit PTT, but honestly listen-only would be a great start.

There are models like the Cobra MRHH500FLTBT that do the OPPOSITE of what I
want.
(they pair with a phone as a headset so I can make/take phone calls on my
VHF.)

I think Standard Horizon offered this 10 years ago on a now discontinued
HX760 model.

There are earpiece to bluetooth adapters that might do the trick, but seem
a little kludgey.

Here's an old thread on PS echoing my concern.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/37_61/psadvisory/Bluetooth-VHF-Streaming_11896-1.html

Has anyone else looked in to this?

Best,

Joel Krauska