[C320-list] Halyards: clean or replace

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Fri Jun 28 08:37:33 PDT 2019

My main halyard is pretty grungy, particularly the part that sits out in
the weather when the boat is not in use. I switched it end-for-end a few
seasons back to take advantage of the fact that the cockpit tail was
still in good shape. I'm wondering if anyone has had success cleaning
halyards. I do not race, and as far as I know I still have the original
halyard. It appears to be in good shape apart from dirt, mildew (or
whatever that green stuff is), etc.

I have the same issues with my rarely used spinnaker halyard. Less so
with the genoa halyard since less of it sits out in the weather over the
course of a year.

The yard suggested I replace all of the halyards, but if there is a safe
way to clean them without compromising their strength that seems preferable.

BTW, if I do replace, what do people like in the way of replacement line
for a boat that does not race?

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653