[C320-list] Reversing Windlass $45 update

Pat Tormey ptormey at 4square.net
Tue Mar 26 11:24:59 PDT 2019

I’ve been concerned that people fingers get too close he in chain when dropping anchor but not $150 for a reversing relay upgrade.

So I bought and ATV winch relay for about $30 and a $16 wired switch at Amazon

Winch Solenoid 12V 250A Relay Contactor Thumb Truck with Protecting Caps for ATV UTV 4x4 Vehicles
And
ZHUOTOP Heavy Duty Handlebar Control Line Winch Rocker Switch Handlebar Control Warn For ATV/UTV

I needed two short battery connectors from my auto supply shop, and I needed a waterproof cable seal but I had one laying around.

Installation wasn’t too difficult, about 2 hours.

 I used the existing foot switch as a terminal for the power supply, removing the load conductor to disable the switch. I used that cable for powering the relay Battery plus side.

Alternately you could leave the cable in place but that would be asking for a direct short if somebody stepped on the switch while paying out the anchor. OR you could wire the foot switch to the ‘In” side of the relay.. but again there is a possible conflict.

I did decide to run my own 10’ length 16/3 conductor to the switch for the abrasion resistance and flexibility. I ‘mounted” the switch on a handy piece of PCV for a better grip. It all folds easily into the anchor locker, might make a bag for it.

Since I’m in the neighborhood I’m adding a 12 red LED as both a “breaker on” indicator and local illumination at night.

If you want to go wireless you might check out similar kits from Tractor Supply.

Shoot me a note if you have any questions.

Pat

Pat Tormey
s/v Blue Skies