[C320-list] A/C system Seacock, Pump & Filter

Allan Field allanfield47 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 04:44:58 PDT 2019

When Annapolis CruisAir put the A/C in our C320 about 18 years ago, they
purposely did not put a filter in but did install a clam shell strainer
over the thru hull.  When I read the warranty info, the datasheet said that
the warranty was void if there was no filter installed.  I called ACA and
was told that the Chesapeake, due to the jellyfish problem, was exempted as
any jellyfish that made it past the clam shell would be shewed up and pass
through the system.  In 16 years of owning the boat, we never had a clog.

Were we to do this over again, we would have had the thru hull installed on
the midline of the boat, versus under that hatch in the aft berth close to
the fresh water pump.  Healed over enough results in an airlock in the
system which had to be bled.  On our C387, both A/C unit thru hulls are on
the midline and we have not had an airlock but then again, we haven't put
the boat upside down yet. (grin!)

Allan S. Field