[C320-list] Prop shaft anode

Daryl Hunt drhunt at rochester.rr.com
Fri May 10 15:10:34 PDT 2019

Hi all,

     I'm a fresh water, Great Lakes sailor with the '99 C320 #660
"Believe."  Over the last few seasons I've noticed my prop shaft is
covered with a rough brown mineral-like coating when I haul out at the
end of season. It also coats the stainless steel components of my
Kiwiprop. It's not organic and can only be removed by sanding.  My first
thought was that it was electrolysis of the shaft, but the anode had
clearly been doing its job and well pitted.  My theory is that the
aluminum anode (recommended for fresh water) was depositing aluminum
oxide on the shaft.  Has anyone of you other fresh water 320 owners
experienced this?  The deposit cleans up fairly easily with #200 grit
sandpaper.

--
Best regards,
Daryl Hunt