[C320-list] 3GM30F V BELTS

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue May 28 10:22:41 PDT 2019

LOL!  Seems a little bit odd to suggest not buying a new spare out of fear it'll deteriorate within a couple years nearly as fast as the belt in use??  I can understand the point of not buying a pile of spares for use over the next 10 years out due to rubber drying out, but when replacing belts every couple years, having a new spare shouldn't be an issue unless it's stored up on deck.

We usually keep a new spare on board and they're always in fine shape when we replace them (and we usually keep the most recent old belt) but have never reused one so far.  Using his logic, if the current belt fails, what condition would the old belt be in after having been used, replaced and stored (if a brand new belt would be deteriorating just sitting for a year or so)?

BTW, if a belt fails out on the water, and it's not because of being well past its service life, I would think that chances are good that the belt you put on to replace it will be subject to more load than normal.  Maybe a problem alternator/pump, pulley out of alignment or something causing unusual load.  So I'd probably want a good spare.

My .02 anyway...
-Jeff Hare