[C320-list] Need Advice on RayMarine C80 MFD Repair/Repl

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 16 08:52:18 PST 2019

FWIW and forgive I have not read full trail... mine had bad fuse holder that was located in engine compartment hanging in mid air behind alternator and below floating terminal strip. Hulu 517 1998. Good luck

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 11:39 AM, Jack Brennan<jackbrennan at bellsouth.net> wrote:   The big question with the diesel is whether the solenoid clicks when he pushes the button. If so, that’s the infamous Yanmar Click.

It’s generally attributable to crappy wiring used by Yanmar on its otherwise excellent engines. On many engines, it is untinned with a cheap fuse somewhere between the starter and the starter button. I haven’t examined the setup on my 320, so I can’t speak to what’s there.

You can Google this and come up with a variety of solutions. I solved it on my Bristol 30 by replacing the wiring with high-quality cable and a good fuse holder.

If you don’t hear a solenoid click, you have to look elsewhere in the wiring system. Bad starter button? Loose connection ? A multimeter and some minor detective work will point to where the problem is.

Jack Brennan
Sionas, 1998 Catalina 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay