[C320-list] Need Advice on RayMarine C80 MFD Repair/Replacement and Intermittent Start Button

Daryl Hunt drhunt at rochester.rr.com
Sat Nov 16 14:03:22 PST 2019

I had the same issue with my C80 and was able to fix it just as Joe L. described.  Just took it apart, reseated the ribbon connectors and reassembled.  That was three years ago and no problems since.- Daryl Hunt1999 C320 #660 BelieveRochester, NYSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Joe Luciano <jnluciano at comcast.net> Date: 11/16/19  10:46 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: C320-List at Catalina320.com Subject: Re: [C320-list] Need Advice on RayMarine C80 MFD Repair/Replacement
  and Intermittent Start Button i have a 2005 C-320, #1024 with the same Raymarine instrument systems.  My C80 chart plotter did the same thing about 3 years ago.  I was able to fix the C80 with the help of a friend that works in the computer business.  The issue I ran into stems from years of a small vibration at the pedestal stemming from use of the autopilot.  Over time, this vibration affected the two ribbon power strips just inside on the bottom of the unit.  My computer friend indicated that this was common with computer monitors that his company travels with, setting them up, taking them down and moving them constantly.  We basically opened the unit up from its case, and he re-seated the two ribbon power strips, and the problem was fixed!!  The difficulty today with electronics / instruments of this age is that people no longer repair things routinely.  Everything is replaced and the old stuff is thrown into the landfill.  While I can’t promise your problem is going to be the same as mine, I would suggestt taking your C80 to a computer repair center of some sort and ask for a technician that could reseat the ribbon power strips for you.  Worst case, it will cost you 30 minutes of labor and not be the problem.  But, if it is, like on mine, you can breathe life into 20+ year old instrument systems and maybe get another 10 years out of them!!  Best of luck!Joe LucianoSecond Wind2005 C-320 > On Nov 15, 2019, at 11:57 PM, Utility Comcast <kswanson123 at comcast.net> wrote:> > Fellow C320IA Owners,> > A new C320IA Owner/Friend of mine that recently bought our C320 MK II has a few questions for you all.  His name is Robert Blix and he is the proud new owner of S/V Journey, formerly our S/V Emily Ann, a 2007 C320 MK II, No. 1107. that he sails out of Edmonds, Washington.  Rob has signed up for the C320IA, but doesn’t quite have email access yet, so I am sending this email on his behalf and forwarding your responses to him.  I have been talking up how valuable the C320IA is and the advice and suggestions from our fellow members, so I would like to share with him any experience, advice and/or suggestions you all would have for him with two recent problems that he has encountered.> > So a couple of questions on Rob’s behalf:> > 1. His 2007 C320 MKII, No. 1107, has the original RayMarine instruments, the C80 Chartplotter, Autopilot, Radar, Wind Indicator, and Tridata with a ACR AIS connected to the system and the factory ICOM's VHF antenna.  The instrumentation package has been reliable and great until last week when the C80 chart plotter screen started flickering and now it is just showing colored vertical lines across the screen.  It is un-useable.  So, our questions are:> > a.  Has this happened to anyone else with a 12 year old RayMarine chart plotter?  If so, did you repair/replace or upgrade it?> b.  If you repaired, how did you do that and who did you use?  Any recommendations?> c.  If you replaced it, did anyone buy a used one off of eBay and do a “plug and play” replacement?> d.  Would it be possible to upgrade the C80 with a E80 chart plotter or even a working used larger screen E120 chart plotter and still use the rest of the existing RayMarine equipment?  We are not sure where to determine compatibility.  The RayMarine factory has not been that helpful for the repair of an older unit.  It seems like they just want to sell the newer Axiom units.> e.  If you upgraded with a new unit, what is the consensus, RayMarine or Garmin?  If RayMarine, can you still use the existing Autopilot, wind indicator, speed/depth, etc or do these need to be upgraded as well to work with the new integrated chart plotter systems?  > f.  If you selected to upgrade to the Garmin system, how much of the older working RayMarine equipment can still be used?  Can the existing cabling for the wind indicator be used with the Garmin wind indicator?  Can the RayMarine autopilot interface wit a new Garmin Chartplotter?> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  The cost of upgrading the entire system seems like it might be cost prohibitive compared to replacing the C80 with a similar used unit or seeking a repair, but Rob and I are both curious about what other C320 owners have done and sage advice that you may all have.  > > 2.  Recently, the Yanmar 3YM30 engine has a delay when the start button is pushed.  Rob explains it like "after he turns on the key, he has to press the start button several time before the engine turns over.  It is like power is not getting to the starter until several pushes of the start button.”  The batteries are fully charged, and the Yanmar engine starting and cockpit instrument panel system seems energized.  Has anyone had this happen to them and did they ever find the culprit?  Loose wire or connection, corroded or worn out start button, corroded connections, too much voltage drop from a corroded connection from the start switch to the starter solenoid, etc.  Again, any troubleshooting advice or similar experiences for Rob would be super appreciated.  > > Thank you all for weighing in n these issues for Rob.  Our C320IA owners group is an invaluable resource.  > > Thanks again for you help!> > Dave> > David B. Swanson, P.E., S.E.> LEED AP/F. SEI> Structural Engineer> (425) 508-7971 mobile> kswanson123 at comcast.net> > >