[C320-list] Winterization

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Wed Oct 16 10:37:52 PDT 2019

I'm not in Canada but I've never heard of a compass freezing. Mineral
spirits are often used as a compass fluid. Not certain what is in our
compasses. But mineral spirits have a freezing point of -60 degrees C
according to one website I found.

BTW, the main problem with things freezing in your boat is because water
expands when it freezes and the expansion can damage things. I'm not a
chemist, but my father was a chemist who specialized in the properties
of water and aqueous solutions, and he has told me that water is unusual
in having this property. Most substances shrink as they cool and do not
expand when they freeze.

Regarding the muffler, whenever I've tried to drain it nothing has come
out. Not sure why not, but I haven't worried about it and instead rely
on antifreeze run through the system until pink stuff is coming out the
exhaust.

--
Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653