[C320-list] FW: Re WARNING - My boat almost sunk!!

Harry Juris harry at citron-too.com
Wed Oct 23 04:27:11 PDT 2019

OK a very brief update and some clarification: Upon further inspection, I
realized that  saying the hose split might have made it sound like the hose
slit along its length. That is not what happened. We have identified the
hose as Shields Series 141 Flex Hose or Trident 144 Vac HD Bilge Hose , (see
the links below) The split occurred between two rows of the vinyl helix (the
ribs)  just inboard of the overboard drain. Note that this hose does not
have any wire reinforcement.  I have only owned the boat since the spring of
2014 so I have no idea if a previous owner may have replaced what ever was
the original hose with this.  I haven't had a chance to call Warren at the
factory to find out what hose  was originally installed when my hull (# 541
was built).    (I have been kind of busy) Be that as it may, the hose had
definitely deteriorated and become brittle because when I attempted to move
the lower end to facilitate taking some pictures that the surveyor asked for
of the point of failure it split again up near the bottom of the anchor
locker.

At this point the boat has been towed to the marina where the repairs will
be done. It has not yet been surveyed as they are waiting for it to be
hauled (hopefully late this week)

Once again, my suggestion to all would be to inspect to see what kind of
hose you have and take whatever action you feel is appeopriate.

https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=shields+series+141

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=trident-144-vac-hd-bilge-live-well
-hose
<https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=trident-144-vac-hd-bilge-live-wel
l-hose&path=-1|51|2243574|2243575&id=4404905>
&path=-1|51|2243574|2243575&id=4404905