[C320-list] Ideas on engine side electrical problem?

Christian ccaper at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 09:45:50 PDT 2019

@Dave Hupe:
"I'm a little confused.  You say you haven't yet put the key in the
ignition ... But your "console switch is on"?  Do you mean you have turned
on your main battery rotating switch and this smoking happens without
really doing anything yet on the engine control console?"

Yes.  Console switch being the main battery rotating switch on, not even
key in ignition.  According to the schematics for the Perkins, there is a
hot wire off the battery connected to the solenoid.  This is in the area
where I think the trace smoke was, and where I hear the sizzling.  So I'm
guessing as soon as I turn on console power at the rotary switch, power is
supplied to the solenoid.

Going down to the yard this Saturday, armed with salt, vinegar, baking
soda, water, brass wire brush, toothbrush, and electronic parts cleaner to
start tackling and see how far cleaning contacts and wires get me.
-Christian