[C320-list] Major LP gas system failure!

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 18:19:06 PDT 2019

Guy

I was thinking about this problem on the way back to HdG yesterday.
Although I'm not a huge fan of multiple cascading failure theories, in this
case it really does seem to be the only logical answer, and I was able to
piece together a couple more clues for you.

1) According to CD, the old solenoid was rated for 15 lbs.   Although it
isn’t clear what happens beyond that rating, the fact that the old spec is
silent on what happens with a high pressure failure mode is indicative that
perhaps older solenoids did not address this issue.
2) According to Defender, their newer solenoids all state that they will
not open if pressure is “too high”.   CD remains silent on their “drop in
replacement”
3) Regulators should be replaced every 10-15 years or so.   Here is some
interesting language from CD.  “ Older regulators may be potentially
hazardous, so if your regulator is more than 15 years old, please don't
take a chance and hope for the best by not replacing it!“.
*4. *Apparently hoses also degrade over time. 15-20 years seems to be
warranted life.

Here’s a article form west marine on the topic.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Safe-Propane-Installations

I would probably do this install myself.  Is it possible to do the work
yourself and pay the yard to check for leaks?     There aren’t that many
connections and you can leak check them all the same way you would at home
but I get the value of a second opinion when there is gas involved.

Good luck

Troy