[C320-list] Major LP gas system failure!

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Tue Sep 3 18:00:12 PDT 2019

Here in Australia we now need a gas two stage regulator for caravans, boats,
etc.  I believe the Catalinas used to come with a single stage one.
Apparently the two stage regulators are safer as they are less likely to
suffer complete failure.

My understanding is that the gas line in the boat is a flexible one.  Given
that it is now 22 years old it really should be replaced.  There well could be
insurance implications in the event of a loss due to failure of an old
flexible gas line.  Also in Australia you would not get a gas certificate for
such an old flexible line and you can't sell the boat without a gas
certificate.  Finally our local regulations also require all gas work to be
done by a licensed gas fitter. Your local situation may be different but given
that you have already experienced a failure . . .

Regards,

Stephen Cox
C320 MKII Tegwen #1141